Sat, Aug 01|
MiDOG Publication in Veterinary Microbiolgy
New Research on the Canine Microbiome! The microbiome of the canine ear and skin is very distinct between healthy puppies and those suffering from an infection. We tested the microbiome hundreds of dogs and even found potential new pathogens!
Time & Location
Aug 01, 2020, 7:00 PM
About the Event
• Largest dog cohort to date analyzed for both the bacterial and fungal microbiota in healthy and diseased skin and ears.
• This study uniquely used relative and absolute microbial abundances determining a cutoff for microbial infectious overgrowth.
• Potential novel pathogens causing canine skin and ear infections can be discovered using the NGS-based approach as described.
• NGS-based analysis of infections is a novel diagnostic approach with the potential to significantly reduce patient suffering.
• NGS-based analysis allows real-time microbiome monitoring and may reduce the use of unwarranted antibiotics for infections.